Welcome to Manchester Confidential
Reset Password
The Confidential websites will be undergoing routine updates. This may cause the sites to go offline. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience.

You are here: Manchester ConfidentialNews.

Public Consultation Backs Cenotaph Move

71 per cent in favour, others claim 'desecration.'

Written by . Published on October 19th 2011.


Public Consultation Backs Cenotaph Move

A PUBLIC consultation over the proposed move of the Cenotaph in St Peter’s Square has backed plans to move it near to the Peace Gardens.

The war memorial is to move to make way for a new tramline as part of the Second City Crossing project. Confidential reported on the story in June (click here) and it caused quite a stir.

The report said that ‘issues have been raised regarding the relocation of the Cenotaph, which will be fully taken into account in the development of proposals.’"

Manchester City Council received three objections to the proposals, of which two were from members of the public, and one from the War Memorials Trust.

Transport for Greater Manchester received 1,205 consultation responses during the 14-week consultation period - 43 per cent were from an online form, 40 per cent were by letter and 17 per cent through an event brochure form.

Objectors argued that moving the Cenotaph shows disrespect to deceased servicemen and women and that moving the Cenotaph would be 'an act of desecration.'

The report said that ‘issues have been raised regarding the relocation of the Cenotaph, which will be fully taken into account in the development of proposals.’

Of responses for the plans overall, 54 per cent were positive, and 17 per cent were positive with conditions, making the overall positive response figure of 71 per cent.

Nineteen per cent of responses were negative, and 10 per cent were neutral. 

Further analysis showed that 93 per cent of responses were from members of the public and seven per cent from stakeholders such as businesses, organisations and community groups. 

 

 

 

Like what you see? Enter your email to sign up for our newsletters which are chock-a-block with more great reviews, news, deals and savings.

6 comments so far, continue the conversation, write a comment.

Kevin PeelOctober 20th 2011.

But the public consultation was about the wider plan for the Second City Crossing, not just the moving of the cenotaph. No report on what people said about that?

1 Response: Reply To This...
Tom HennellOctober 20th 2011.

I think that is what is meant by "responses for the plans overall'

Tom HennellOctober 20th 2011.

I'm glad the the City Council is being sensible here. Both the cross and the cenotaph should remain in St Peter's square; but not set incongruously facing one another as they are at present.

There is now indeed an opportunity to provide the cenotaph with a proper setting; and to restore the cross to standing alone as a witness to the rich Victorian legacy of the city.

Moreover, with the tram-stop relocated, neither will have the indignity of being rammed against ugly furniture and platforms. All the old pictures of the cenotaph show it as standing amongst tram tracks and overhead wires - and rightly so; but surely we can find a less cluttered and intrusive design of stanchion than we have at present.

Eddy RheadNovember 2nd 2011.

Very sad on many different levels.

Eddy RheadNovember 2nd 2011.

It still has to go through Listed Building Consent. Well i hope it does because if its anything like this whitewash then im guessing those who devised this 'idea' and this 'consultation' will ride roughshod over that minor inconvenience too.

AnonymousNovember 2nd 2011.

Isn't it time that these consultations were carried out at the start of the process rather than at the end when it's virtually signed and sealed

To post this comment, you need to login.Please complete your login information.
OR CREATE AN ACCOUNT HERE..
Or you can login using Facebook.

Latest Rants

Anonymous

Repeating,without any evidence the same point that socialism = public services is hardly…

 Read more
Anonymous

You absolutely right,I hate all these bloody nimbys stopping development and progress.Of course if…

 Read more
Anonymous

Manchester's size and climate isn't dissimilar to Rotterdam or Dusseldorf but the city is held back…

 Read more
Anonymous

Straying off the point again David, which is that investing in public services is socialist but as…

 Read more

Explore The Site

© Mark Garner t/a Confidential Direct 2017

Privacy | Careers | Website by: Planet Code | SEO by The eWord